Tuesday 10 September 2013

Surgery... next week

February 14:
Dr. P: You have advanced breast cancer which has metastasized to your lymph nodes, liver, ovaries, pelvis & spine. Treatment is palliative (the goal is not to get rid of all of your cancer but to help you to live as long as possible and as comfortably as possible with your cancer).

Me: Options for treatment? 
Dr. P: Chemotherapy... starting tomorrow.
Me: Radiation? 
Dr. P: No. Not unless your cancer is causing you severe pain.
Me: Surgery? 
Dr. P: No. Don't feel it would be beneficial based on how advanced your cancer is in your liver (largest liver lesion is 4.4cm).
Me: Physiotherapy? 
Dr. P: Not now.
Me: Massage therapy? 
Dr. P: Not now.
Me: Prognosis? 
Dr. P: Are you sure you want to know? Me: Yes. 
Dr. P: Average lifespan is 2-3 years.

Things didn't look promising but I have feist and I'm going to do everything I can to be lengthening that lifespan average. And I'll keep on asking the questions nicely to try & have as many options as possible.

Bring it on cancer. You've messed with the wrong lady!

March 12
Physiotherapy? Yes.

April 9
CT results? Improvement everywhere (largest liver lesion 2.2cm).
Massage therapy? Yes.
If I had NOT received chemo, what would my prognosis have been? Weeks to months.

June 4
Am I a candidate for surgery yet? Yes. Really, I'm a candidate for surgery? Yes (largest liver lesion 1.6cm).

July & August
Appointments with Gen. Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon & Gynaecological Surgeon (largest liver lesion 1.2cm).

I've held back on sharing the news of being a candidate for surgery for a few reasons -- the biggest of which has been that I was afraid my cancer would progress after treatment or that something would change the opinion of the doctors and this would no longer be an option. And then I'd have to explain even more.

My doctor feels that I've responded so well to treatment that it might now be beneficial to have a mastectomy.  The idea behind this is that by decreasing the tumour burden, my body will be able to handle the remaining cancer better and for a longer time. My surgeons want to be a little more cautious with me (perhaps because they've seen my son's energy) and have said that I'm not allowed to lift for 4 weeks... so this means someone will be needing to take care of my precious boy for a month.

I don't like the thought of removing parts of my body but I'm not going to reflect on that right now. I do enjoy the thought of getting rid of a big bunch of my cancer and striking off cancer in a couple more places in me. I'm nervous about losing parts of me, surgery & complications, a difficult recovery, not being able to care for my boy, not being able to care for myself, etc.

Yesterday I was given an OR date of next Wed, Sept. 18.

Would you please be praying for me and my family as we walk through this cancer journey together? 





10 comments:

  1. I never thought I'd be praising God for surgery! With each victory you have experienced I have rejoiced but none so much as this! "I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to bring you hope and A FUTURE!"

    You and your family continue to be in my prayers in a special way this week and the next few weeks to come. I'm so excited for what this means for you but so very aware of the challenges and uphill road you're walking. I am confident that just as God has brought you to this point He is going to bring you through this next stage of the journey with flying colours! YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks being giving and prayers being lifted up. -Amie

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I have continued to follow your story I am struck what a strange dichotomy it presents. For instance, my first instinct was to offer congratulations on doing so well that you are now able to go ahead with a surgery that most women absolutely dread. But then I recall the original reason for starting this blog and I wonder if "Congratulations on your surgery" is the right sentiment.

    Nonetheless I am very happy that you are able to go ahead and reduce the tumour burden. I know that you will do well and recover from this with the same positive attitude that you have exhibited all along.I will be thinking of you next week and the weeks that follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for this news Krista! Praying for sure. I know how nervous I was for surgery but how really in the end it didn't end up being too bad so hopefully your experience will be the same. You are amazing and I love how you continue to show your honesty, strength, courage and authenticity to everyone around you. Way to keep it real. Love, peace, and blessings to you.
    Rachel Bode

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many strong, positive words to describe you, Krista...but the one that comes to mind just now is "formidable". Praying for you on Wednesday. Niki xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will be praying big time.
    Bless you and your family.

    In Christian Love,

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Krista, You have stayed strong and we will pray for you and your upcoming surgery. May God Bless you abundantly! Doug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Krista, god clearly has a unique plan for you and it is with his strength that you will come through all of this victorious. I believe it from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Krista with each new day & week you have gone through, you & your family have done it with such incredible strength that comes from our Lord. We continue to keep you in our prayers as you go through the next step! Keep that strong faith, as we know all things are in his hands!

    Leaving all this in Gods Hands!
    Dwight & Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll mark my calendar on the 18th to remember what you'll be going through and I'll ask my Weds. prayer partners to lift you up. I admire your willingness to share your difficult journey, Krista. God has given you a gift for writing. May you know His peace each and every day.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete