Sunday 1 September 2013

Celebrations

Last week we celebrated!

Between our family members we celebrated a 45th wedding anniversary, a 15th anniversary, a first birthday, a 69th birthday and an engagement. 

Birthdays, and therefore birthday parties, have always been big in my family. Weeks or even months in advance the ideas and party planning begin. The cake, games, food, decorations and gift bags are just some of the items to be ticked off the party planning list. 

Our boy is an energetic, fun-loving, constantly moving child who has proven himself to be a little monkey and so it seemed appropriate to do a monkey-themed party. Streamers were strung. Monkeys were painted. Gift bags were stuffed. Cakes were decorated. Monkey-roni and cheese was baked.

And did we ever celebrate!

Our little monkey was too excited to have an afternoon nap and instead fell asleep while eating dinner in his high chair. In his groggy state (and with a crowd watching him), the smash cake didn't turn out as we'd hoped.  Fortunately there's always whipped cream in a bowl the morning after the party for good pictures!

I live in the tension between celebrations like this and my cancer. As a matter of fact, the large pressure dressing (from my skin biopsy) that was sticking out slightly from my sleeveless shirt and my instructions to not do any strenuous activity or heavy lifting were constant reminders of this tension.

While I no longer have chemo, I still have a number of doctor's appointments and tests. Even with the skin metastasis, my doctor's plan is to continue with the oral medications only at this time. And when my body recovers from chemo, I will hopefully have more options for treatment.

My nails no longer seem to be infected (although it will take a few months for the damaged portions of my nails to grow out). My hair is growing (I have three eyelashes left... but more are growing). My neutrophils are increasing (I hope). My cancer is stable or decreasing (I hope).

It is an understatement to say that this has been a difficult year for my family. We've had many moments of celebrating and many moments where we're holding our breath and bracing for the next impact. Earlier this year a friend said that a cancer diagnosis is a family's diagnosis. We're doing ok but sure could use an uneventful month. Can you please be praying for my family as we try to catch our breath? 
- my husband & son
- parents
- sister & family
- parents-in-law
- brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law & families

Thanks.

On his actual birthday
 
The Party
 
Opening gifts
 
The "smash cake" alternative... whipped cream!
 

1 comment:

  1. Will keep you in our prayers on the 18th!! You are a brave and courageous woman. God bless you and your family.
    Karri and David Wagman

    ReplyDelete