Thursday 21 August 2014

Picking Blackberries

Two years ago today I was picking blackberries. Blackberries usually aren't that memorable... but they are when you're in labour. 

It was a crazy hot week in August and my plan was to pick the hottest day of the week and go into labour on that day because the hospital has air conditioning (and we don't).

I woke up early that Tuesday morning and knew it was time. With lots of adrenaline, we woke up, had showers, finished packing, and called in to the hospital to let them know we were coming. We had to register in Emerg and when asked my reason for coming to the hospital I said, "I'd like to have a baby today please." The receptionist looked a little shocked and then smiled.

Up the elevator & down the hall we went. It was the end of the night shift and the question they asked me was, "Are you sure you're in labour? You seem to happy to be in labour" (Due to my control freak nature and because the nurse in me was curious, I'd gotten some of the nitrazine paper that the labour/delivery nurses use to see if your water has broken... I'd already checked at home and the strip turned blue! We'd have our boy in our arms in the following 24 hrs).

Everything sort of paused for shift change and then we were moved into our room. My contractions weren't regular or strong but they had to admit me because my water had broken... so I was told to walk. I asked how far I could go. They said however far I could walk and get back in time to be checked in an hour.

Our first hour was spent getting coffee and breakfast at the cafeteria and calling our telephone provider to try and get texting added to our plan so we could communicate with my family who lived four hours away. It was supposed to work immediately. It didn't.

The next hour (after being on hold for a long part of the walk), I called the phone people back and said, "Listen. This was supposed to work last time & didn't. I'm at the hospital and in labour right now and I'd really like to be able to communicate with my family. Can you make that happen?" The customer service person was male and he asked, "you're in labour... right now? Yes ma'am, I'll get that done right away ma'am." Xhevat and I chuckled. And I was able to text.

The following hour we walked a different path and found blackberry bushes. We got a bucket from the nurses and spent the following hour picking blackberries for the nurses. Walking for hours in flip flops was hard on my feet so hospital lunch and a nap were in order. And of course, when I stopped moving, labour stopped as well.

So the afternoon brought some IV meds and getting on with labour. Within about four hours of starting these drugs, I was holding a little baby boy in my arms and Xhevat was beaming with pride.

Not much later I hear a knock at the door and in walked my niece, sister & mom. They had driven the four hours to surprise us (and meet our baby). It was such a special moment. Xhevat beaming. Me sort of dazed & overwhelmed. And our little boy. We started our day as a family of two and ended as a family of three.

That little boy born two years ago has changed my life. He was the fulfillment of some of my hopes, desires and prayers. He has brought so much joy, hope, laughter, tears, frustrations, sleepless nights, liveliness, etc to my life. I really don't know how I would have coped these last 18 months without this little boy waking me up & encouraging me every day. 

Happy second birthday my little boy. You are incredibly special to your mama and daddy and we thank God for your joyful, energetic, celebratory nature. No matter how hard things get, may your life reflect the joy, hope and love that God has given to each of us. We love you dearly.

Meeting our son

Celebrating with some cake

Two


No comments:

Post a Comment