Friday 6 February 2015

The BOO Awards!

The last 24hrs have either been a series of comedic errors and/or us needing to learn to push through challenges.

I'd like to present the following Boo Awards brought to you by the Princess Bride. If our challenges weren't enough while we were travelling, they were topped off by:

- To the airlines for an inability to even check us in advance (unless we paid extra -- we'd already spent more than 4 hours on the phone with them the days prior walking through online confirmation, connections, disabilities, seating - we'd to prefer to refer to this as supportive parenting and not helicopter parenting
- To the ice on the plane that you caused the missed us to miss our flight (there was ice on the first plane of the day. It was de-iced, everything backed up & then literally we watched them lock the gate on our final flight as it pulled away from the gate): did you missread our boarding passes and not know we were not at our destination?
- the porters who didn't understand what a broken spine means when going over bumps in wheelchairs
- multiple mobility devices repeatedly lost or misplaced or not where they should be as promised
- seatbelt airbags fitting through the car seat places for seatbelts
- new hotel arrangements to be booked and food not available while travelling as things generally are not open at airports after 9pm or before 4am... oh did I mention that you're also in an unknown city
- it was colder in TX than at home (below freezing... and we're Canadians!)
- when the question you're asked after travelling the entire day was "would you like your wake up call at 3:30am?"
- a big fat zero number of pretzels, cookies, chocolates, milk, stickers, or notice given to my well behaved boy during flights by staff (their job is not to praise me or my boy but there's a way of saying we don't serve milk to children over two that is not ok with this mama)

On the other hand, there were some pretty stellar moments in my day as well.

The Wesley Award for the day went to Enoch, our driver, who tried to get us to our gate in time (a few minutes and a few passengers who got honked at as they didn't move) with a man who by all means genuinely cares and is hurting today.

Honourable mentions go to a friend from church (who listened to my heart on the first leg of our journey) & the shuttle bus driver (who brought his van to the hotel and a rolling office chair to his bus so that I could get from the hotel to the airport and back more easily).

Always faithful is my husband who scooped me up in his arms and carried me when I couldn't get into the shuttle bus. That's right ladies... my husband put his arms literally behind behind my neck and knees and I am swept off my feet. He supports my decisions even if he doesn't fully agree and cares for our son in a way that I cannot. He also balances the moments by helping me get off the floor or toilet. We're keeping it real.

Our boy was actually commented on  by another traveller by saying how he well behaved during the longer flight. Way to go son! Keeping making good choices!

And to my parents who are crazier than me but solid enough to support a trotting toddler, carry-ons, carseat, walker for their daughter, etc. on long, unpredictable journeys. Their faith and stamina have and still led me.

And to the Tim Horton's sandwich that fed my steroid munchies? 'Nuff said.

We have arrived & are happy to be here together.


A boo award for you


And some fresh hand-picked Florida strawberries for the others

My walker, his car seat and our son -- all mobility devices!

3 comments:

  1. Well done, M! And all the K's!! What a journey!! Looking forward to hearing all the stories upon your return! xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounded exhausting and stressful. Wishing you the most relaxing and peaceful time from now on. All of you deserve this much needed break and time to be with each other. Also Xhevat, your parents and Matias rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista..... I want you to know that last Sunday a few select friends and my husband and I gathered together to pray for you...all of us never having met you or really knowing you, but the burden for you on my heart was so great, I had to do something.

    On the way to church, God was impressing you on my heart and my mind. I turned on the radio to hear a song which I will send a link to you so that you can listen to it. (I have to find it first.. lol!)

    The song is called "Let Hope Arise". I had never heard it before and the second that I turned my car radio on, this song was just starting. It spoke to me about you specifically and I began singing and praying the words back to the Lord on your behalf.

    Let Hope Arise. Let. Hope. Arise.

    And as I was thinking about the word HOPE, I remembered something my sister told me years ago...

    That true HOPE is ...Helping Others Prepare for Eternity.

    And Krista, from day one of this blog and Im sure from all of your life, you have been Helping Others Prepare for Eternity.

    And so I am going to LET ( which is A Deliberate Choice...) Hope Rise in my heart and in my mind and in my prayers for you Krista.

    LET HOPE ARISE. And bless you Krista as you, through this blog, are Helping Others Prepare for
    Eternity.

    Trusting God for a Miracle for you Krista, because it is never too late with God.

    ReplyDelete