Sunday 7 July 2013

Six Years Ago

Sleep hadn't come easily. I woke up early and had my shower while the power and water were on. A quick trip to the city to get my hair done and then back to my apartment to finish getting ready. My aunt and my mom had spent hours sewing. My sister and I improvised when the cake didn't turn out as planned. My dad was going to be my chauffeur. Thirteen of my family and friends had come a long way to witness this day & celebrate!

The sun was shining intensely in the cloudless sky. The shade of the trees and the slight breeze brought some relief. We started late but it didn't matter to me... the only thing that mattered to me was that I was going to be his.

Walking toward him, I tripped a little but was steadied by my dad. Then the Word, supper and promises were shared in each other's languages. And the words were declared (oops we had to wait for it to be said in English as well) that we were husband and wife.

The Kiss. Joy. Relief. Anticipation. Blessed. The Unknown. Confidence in knowing that we would be beside each other through life's journey.

These last six years have brought us joys and challenges of many kinds: family emergencies, a job that didn't pay, a big move, new jobs, a new culture, a house, a dog, the miracle of our boy, cancer.

I have been honored to be beside my best friend through it all. He is the rock to my emotional storms. His love is unwavering. He sacrifices daily to take care of us.

These last few months have continued affirm the vows we made. Together we've received devastating news. He has brought me to God. He has cared for our son day and night. He has held my hand, taken my temperature, given me medication, brought me food, supported me when I had difficulty moving. He helped me shave my locks & pick out new curls. He has made me feel beautiful no matter how I look. With God's strength, he is leading our family through these difficult days.

I am blessed to be your wife and I'm so thankful to have you as my husband. I can't imagine life without you. Happy anniversary my love.




1 comment:

  1. I wish I had electricity that day too! Oh well, it was a beautiful wedding and such a special day! I'll always be thankful that we ignored the government's warnings and traveled there to see you and Xhevat get married.

    ReplyDelete