Tuesday 15 July 2014

Rest & A Party

I didn't know how stressed my body was. That's what my husband said as we were driving back to pick up our boy. There was no secret location... just a relaxing place called Sparkling Hill near Vernon. I had been there last year to rest and write some cards to my family. As soon as I got there, I knew I wanted to come back with Xhevat.

It was strange (a good kind of strange) to be only the two of us. We ate dinner with no thrown food or food that was threatened to be thrown (Zabb in Kelowna has amazing Thai food). Then a quick drive out to what seems like the middle of nowhere and we pulled up to the resort. Xhevat wasn't so sure about the valet parking but his uncertainties were quickly forgotten as we walked around the beautiful hotel.

Sparkling Hill has Swarovski crystals everywhere... including in lights, in a "fireplace" with coloured lights, reflecting on the ceiling, etc. and this is just all in your room. Then comes the spa. This time I/we chose not to do any of the "extras" (like massages or pedicures) but just enjoy the pools, hot tub and a dozen spa rooms that varied in scent, humidity & temperature. It was just incredibly relaxing and refreshing.

I had no revelations or poignant moments... just pure enjoyment of spending time with my husband with no schedules or interruptions.

And then we returned to Kelowna, picked up our boy (who I don't think noticed that we had been gone for two days and had thoroughly enjoyed being spoiled by his grandparents) and went to my sister's where the preparations for the party began.

My sister & I had not prepped or organized a party together. We each had our lists and items we'd prepared ahead of time and last minute preparations that needed to be completed. It was incredibly fun to work together with her and her kids who all helped prep, cook, clean, babysit, etc. We each did whatever was needed. And honestly, we had a blast even before the party started! 

My sister has said that she has had sympathy pains (like your husband gets when you're pregnant many) from my chemo/cancer this past year. I got to experience that in reverse when she got some whipped cream on her finger and I instinctively licked my own finger to get rid of the whipped cream (it didn't work)!

Then a few hours later mom & dad and their friends arrived! I think throughout the night there were just over sixty people that came. It was wonderful celebrating my parents' 70th birthdays! My parents, especially my mom, is usually hosting the parties and celebrating others and I really enjoyed the role reversal. It was also great meeting some of my parents' friends who've been praying for and supporting our family through our challenges. A very special evening and a very special week indeed!

One of the Swarovski crystal chandeliers

Enjoying the view with floor to ceiling windows in our room

Gorgeous sunsets

And in the daytime...

And then there was the party... a 70 candle birthday card (it was too dangerous lighting them all so we put them on a card)

Some of my Parents' Friends

Some of the Food

More Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment