Sunday 28 September 2014

I Didn't Climb the Grind Yesterday

Who you surround yourself with makes all the difference. Yesterday I met all kinds of people on my trip uphill. As I was climbing and struggling, I could compare the Grind to my cancer journey. 

Cancer is an uphill climb. There are some really difficult parts of the climb and other spots that aren't as difficult. It's all hard but there can be so much beauty on the journey. The path is windy and each person travels up it in a unique way. Within certain boundaries, you choose your steps. Sometimes the better path involves making lots of little steps and at other times, the only option is to take one big step and trust. And when the terrain gets even harder the options might include crawling up the steps on hands and knees or being pulled up by the outstretched hand.

On this cancer journey I feel incredibly thankful for those of who have surrounded me. You have helped keep me grounded in today and encouraged me as I looked to tomorrow. You've pointed me upward and to the end of the climb. While we may not always agree on where to step, you've continued to surround me and love on me. There will be a time when I finish this climb with cancer. I can see you cheering me on to the finish line (and what a celebration that will be!)... but for now, I'll keep on climbing.

With that understanding, I didn't climb the Grind yesterday. I was physically there and I definitely climbed up the Grind. But the only reason that I was able to get up the climb is because I was pulled up by my husband. I was encouraged by other climbers both with words and by their tenacity. I was lifted by prayers that I could not hear. Thank you for surrounding me as I'm on this climb. I cannot, or rather, I do not want to go through this journey on my own. I may not get to see & thank each of you personally. Thank you for making a difference in my life.

Climbing

Lots of beauty

1 comment:

  1. We were climbing with you, and thanks for being our inspiration. I pray I can always meet life's challenges with your courage, and make it seem like fun. God bless you three.
    Dana and Naomi

    ReplyDelete