Saturday 27 September 2014

Of All the Stupid Things to Do...

I've done some pretty stupid stuff into life. Running a marathon (because my dad said I couldn't) & my recent falls are some of those stupid things. It's just that now I have to report these things to my doctor. He's going to smirk with my news when I see him on Friday.

Seventeen years ago five of us went on a "walk" or "hike" (that's what I was told it was anyway... I'd just come to university from the Prairies where anything other than flat was called a hike). As we basically climbed up wooden/root/rock "stairs," I  learned that the Grouse Grind was more than a simple walk.

Here the data as to why the Grouse Grind is NOT a walk.

Trail Facts
Length: 2.9 kilometres (1.8 miles) 
Elevation Gain: 853 metres (2,800 feet) 
Base: 274 metres above sea level (900 feet)
Summit: 1,127 metres (3,700 feet) 
Total Stairs: 2,830 

So one of the things on my bucket list was to either do the Grind or the Chief. And I thought the Grind might be the better option.

This morning my husband and I had a "date" which involved spending a lot of time climbing up big "stairs." Thanks to me & my physical abilities, we were passed by young children, men and women carrying children & 80+ year olds. It was quite the adventure for me to try to get my legs up the "stairs" but I had my faithful husband beside me to pull me up when my body tried to go downhill.

Absolutely no record times were made. I probably rested more than I climbed. Some serious people lept up the stairs past us and didn't even appear to be breathing hard or working up a sweat. But we made it!

Chalk this up to one more stupid thing I've done. I can't wait to tell my doctor (And if you see me in the next week, gentle hugs please... I'm pretty sure I'm going to have some insanely sore muscles... and I can't blame it on cancer or chemo).

The beginning of the pain & stupidity

While I was enjoying myself

Later... Xhevat's eagerness with the "stairs"

My "eagerness" at the same time

We did it!

Worth the effort... beautiful BC!

1 comment:

  1. Bold and courageous, not stupid. Praying you're not too sore today.

    ReplyDelete