Friday 9 January 2015

Hair

It's just hair, right?

Not really. 

It's been a part of my personality, my identity, my looks, etc. I can fake that I'm not sick with hair. I look more sickly when I don't have it. I am looked at differently when I don't have hair -- pity, sadness, compassion, concern.

"At least you still have your smile." Or "At least your head is shaped nicely." Or "At least hats look good on you." Ok... but I've still experienced a loss. And it still hurts incredibly.

So much is going on. Radiation done. Effects of radiation ongoing. Steroids. Family. Rest needed. Putting together plans for the future. Working through thoughts. Our family has been hit hard. Sometimes I wonder if it's the cancer in my brain or if anybody would be left spinning with everything going on.

A chemo nurse passed me in the hall on Wednesday. She knows me and asked me twice if I was ok and if someone was there with me. I was in an overwhelmed daze.

Struggling to keep it somewhat together.

P.S. This all happened on Wednesday after finishing brain radiation, an appointment, grocery shopping to Costco and Superstore, a fantastic dinner, some pictures that I've been wanting to take since the beginning of this journey and celebratory DQ Blizzards.

Our Family
 
With hair and the precious gift of a blanket covered in verses & prayers. Thank you.
 
About 15 minutes later. It was time. Most of my hair fell out in handfuls by the follicle. This is the fourth time that I've lost my hair in less than two years.
 
What was left.

10 pairs of socks for 10 days of Radiation

Some of the side effects of my steroids (but they're very much needed for my irritated brain & brain swelling right now)

4 comments:

  1. Krista, ANYONE would be left spinning after all you've been through! I think you are doing a great job in trying to stay positive, I know it is hard, but you do exude Christ throughout your whole life! The side effects are not permanent and no matter what, hair or no hair, moon face or whatever, you are BEAUTIFUL!
    HUGGing you with prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. te dua shum motra ime.je ne shpirtin tim ne lutjet e mija.meli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Your inner beauty just bursts forth to the outside and glows. You are very strong to be able to share so openly about your experiences with your cancer. God is blessing you and using you to bless and encourage others, including me/us, as we face the many challenges of life. Christ's courage comes across so clearly as you share with humor, faith and peace that only He can give. Our love and prayers. Dana and Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still look so beautiful without your hair. Sending hugs your way and even in exhausted listening to what you get up to during the day.

    ReplyDelete