Monday 25 November 2013

Thankful

Today I'm thankful for my doctor and nurse. It is good to know I have two people who take the time to hear my concerns & joys and respond to each of them (I have an amazing medical team of MANY people but today I'm especially thankful for these two individuals).

After a night of interrupted sleep, Matias and I headed off to the hospital for bloodwork, a "coffee" date (I had sips of a chai latte while attempting to feed and entertain my boy), and a doctor's appointment. As usual, Matias shyly smiles at people in waiting rooms, cafeterias, offices, or wherever people will give him attention. If he's not in his stroller (or otherwise restrained), he's running around wherever he can, learning how fast he can run the opposite direction from me and hearing how much his voice can echo in large spaces.

I know he brings me an incredible amount of joy in my day, and while it may require a little more energy and flexibility to bring him along, it is good that he is able to bring a smile to many others' faces.

The beauty of stat bloodwork is that I get to find out the results quickly (something the PICU nurse in me really appreciates). By the time we finished our date, my doctor had my results and shared that it appears my liver continues to be less irritated & my neutrophils are high enough to get chemo tomorrow. I'm thankful for both. A CT next week will let us "see" what chemo is doing to my liver lesions.

So much has changed in the last year and it is often too overwhelming to think of what this next year may bring. Today I'm thankful for my doctor, nurse & bundle of joy/energy. I'm thankful that most of our ornaments bounce and that it is not the end of the world if they break. I'm thankful for the simple and exquisite beauty of white lights. I'm thankful for the hope and promise of Christmas. And I'm thankful that all I can do is take one day at a time.

Still trusting God with my future...
 
Last year: the first ornament on the tree
This year: enamored by white lights

(As promised, the short fundraising video for the Breast Health Clinic at JPOC can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvaSSlO0NVE.)

1 comment: