Wednesday 20 November 2013

What are Your Plans for Christmas?

It's a natural question this time of year. I usually pause. And then I answer that we plan to see family but don't know exactly how/when/if that will be a possibility. More than likely, it depends on when I'll be getting chemo.

[That is somewhat the story of my life right now. I'm able to plan this week and perhaps some of next week but everything can change very quickly. Chemo depends on my neutrophils. Outings depend on how we're feeling. Babysitters are dependent upon availability and if there is sickness in their houses. Appointments are my constant but how many and how often are out of my control.

None of these things are inherently bad... it just means that plans are held loosely and when things come together, we seize the opportunities! And I'm learning to plan in pencil (or rather in the electronic world of edit & delete).]

If this cycle goes well and my neutrophils are high enough, chemo will be the week before Christmas... if not, chemo will be on Christmas Eve (right in the middle of my husband's week off). I'd prefer to have chemo the week before Christmas but as with everything in my life right now, I submit my plans to the One who knows what He's doing. And if I'm supposed to be in that chemo chair on Christmas Eve, then so be it and we'll have a fabulous time! We'll make it a Christmas Eve that those nurses and patients won't soon forget!


While the tree may not have a single Christmas present underneath it... I'm eagerly anticipating family, time away, and being reminded of my Christ at the beginning of Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you, we are planning our Christmas Eve around my FIL's radiation appointment! Glad to have him with us to celebrate so planning things when we get the radiation schedule is no big deal. Prayers for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista I am so happy to hear your personality shining through there - yes you WILL have a fabulous time if it comes to that! I don't doubt that you and the nurses and other patients will bring each other festive cheer no matter what day it ends up to be.

    ReplyDelete