Sunday 17 November 2013

What a Week!

It's been quite the week! After coming off a very relaxing long weekend, it's been a busy week for me mentally.

This past Wednesday I had the opportunity to share my experience with fourth year nursing students at TWU. I presented a patient as a case study and asked them what they knew about the patient. I then told them I was that patient and shared my story. As I was speaking to my potential future nurses, I wanted to share my story through the nurses I have met on my journey and how they have impacted my journey. I shared about my colleagues, labour/delivery nurses, public health nurse, nurse navigator, and my many chemo nurses. I also shared two lists of things that I have found helpful or not so helpful on my journey.

I then asked them (again) what they knew about the patient. As nurses and Believers, I encouraged them to not see patients as a diagnosis or list of tasks/duties to accomplish. Rather I encouraged them to live out the life and hope that we have in our hearts as we come alongside our patients and their needs.

It was wonderfully strange to be back in the classroom in which I was learning to become a nurse. It was also an unexpected blessing & encouragement to meet a friend and daughter of two of the nurses that I'd mentioned in my story! 

Then on Friday I was asked to attend the fundraising event for which last week's video was made. A friend of mine joined me for this evening of fun and cross cultural experiences. The group hosting the event was an East Indian ladies' group. The food was fabulous, the crowd was lively, the entertainment included singing and dancing from preteens to senior citizens. The room was filled with the delicious aromas, colourful saris, bright lights, energetic music, and the constant din of happy conversations. And I got to take this all in with my dear friend, newly made friends (cancer survivors), and two nurses and a doctor (and her daughter) from the Breast Health Clinic. My story was shared not only in the short video clip but also several more times through the evening in conversation. And when asked how I could be so positive, all I could say is that my faith and my hope are what give me the joy to get through each day.

I went home physically and emotionally tired but thrilled for these opportunities.

Back at home, we've had some sickness ("just" colds & flus) going through our house over the last couple weeks... first Matias, then my mom, my dad and now Xhevat... very selfishly, I really don't want to get sick. So we're sticking close to home & trying not to share any germs or have them shared with us. I'll still be going out for appointments and having some (healthy) friends over but we're trying to keep things simple to regain our health.

Friday Evening's Adventures
(more pictures to follow)

1 comment:

  1. Such a great picture of you and Linda with your wonderful smiles. I am sure you were an inspiration to the nursing students at TWU and to the folks at the fund raiser. I hope that everyone in your home has recovered from the attack of the winter viruses.

    ReplyDelete