Tuesday 9 April 2013

Four Kilometers

To try and encourage my anxious heart, my dad asked me yesterday if I'd walk 2 km with him today when I got the good news of my CT results.  With my hopeful feistiness, my response was that I'd walk 4 km if I got good news.

So I went into my appointment with my list of symptoms/side effects and a bunch of questions... some of which were dependent upon my CT results.  My sister came in from Kelowna (about a 4 hr drive) to be with me.  She has been an amazing support both as a sister and with her medical knowledge. She was there with Xhevat and me at my first oncologist's appointment and has been beside me through many rough moments.  We'd talked about the questions I should ask for three scenarios: if my cancer had spread, stayed the same, or decreased. I've been scared about this appointment and needed her by side. I didn't quite know what to hope for or expect from my CT results.

When my doctor entered the room, we didn't have to wait long or ask any questions to get my news. "Improvement everywhere," were the first words out of his mouth. The rest of the appointment was really just a formality after that news. My largest liver lesion is half the size. Another liver lesion is two thirds of the size.  I still have too many lesions to count... but they're smaller! My lymph nodes are back to normal size. My bones are healing. There's no cancer in my brain and nothing in my lungs. As for the cancer in the remainder of body, there is "nothing new or worse."

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord for all He's done! (This is what I sort of sang -- complete with kids' song's hand motions -- as I changed into the blue hospital gown).

I couldn't ask for better news. Chemo and my cancer are getting along just as I'd like... my cancer is trying to divide and multiply and each time it tries, my chemo is killing off more cells. I appreciate all of the medicine behind it but I recognize that I am ultimately in the care of my Great Physician. He loves me and cares for me... through good and bad. My doctor's desire is to get my cancer to a place where we can stop it from growing and we continue to beat it back when it tries to rear its ugly head.  I want this too.  My Great Physician's desire is to have my heart and my eyes focused on Him and to live out His hope in my life. More than my desire to be physically healthy, I desperately want this.

For this (whether cancer or good CT results or just daily living), we have Jesus.


P.S. I must keep this short cause I've got 4 km of thankfulness to walk off today... and I'm going to do this with my dad.

11 comments:

  1. We're rejoicing with you Krista! God is good, all the time!
    Love your prayer partners (and cousins) in NZ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon Krushel9 April 2013 at 14:34

    Yes Praise Him, what wonderful news! And there's even dry weather today for the extended distance walk. My heart sings for you today too. With love, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I write this Krista tears flow from my eyes.I am so happy to hear postive results. I have been up all night praying that you will receive postive news. My heart sings for you as well Krista. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I know you have a long road. I truly believe God is going to show one of his miracles thru you, his faithful servant. Thanks Be to God Lots of love to you. Trish L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Krista - My tears are flowing along with Trish's - Praise be to our wonderful Savior! I came home today so stressed and when I read this I realize I have so much to be thankful for, including this fantastic news. You continue to encourage my heart and remind me what counts in life. Continuing to lift you up in prayer and sending lots of love and hugs your way - Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. KRISTA!!!I am so happy for these wonderfully positive results!! I have been thinking and praying for you all day. I too will continue to keep you in my prayers! (PS: Iain prays for you daily and now has his whole class praying for you! :))
    Blessings and love,
    Mon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Krista- praise be to God! This is such good news! Gentle hugs coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful day Krista! Everyone in Leader who knows you will be celebrating! We will continue to pray for more good news! Enjoy your walk with your dad! Lois Smith

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so happy for you Krista, your strength and belief in your faith is amazing, I am so full of joy knowing that the lesions are getting smaller and your surrounded by so much positive energy, I hope you had a wonderful uplifting walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Praise God, Krista! So much to give thanks for, and I am rejoicing with you, Sister! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful surprise to see you today. I hope that you thoroughly enjoyed your first solo (except for Matias of course) venture. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God is good - all the time! We had a miraculous day as well. Continuing to lift you up in prayer. -Lori

    ReplyDelete