Tuesday 28 May 2013

Last Friday's Chemo Adventures

Have you ever laughed so hard you got into trouble for making too much noise? Or have you ever forced yourself to stay awake because you were enjoying yourself so much and you really didn't want to miss out? Or have you ever instantaneously bonded with compete strangers so quickly that within minutes you were making jokes at each other's expense and truly laughing about it?

Each of these was true for me for my chemo this past Friday. Like rooms in a hospital ward, the chemo room is divided up into pods. Most pods consist of four chairs facing inward at each corner of the square. In addition there are four not as comfy stacking chairs for support people which sit next to the patient chairs. Two nursing computer stations sit on opposite sides of the square and a sink is on the third side. The fourth side is the open walkway.

When I arrived, there was a lady around my mom's age sitting to my right. Her husband came in with tea and a snack for his wife. I enjoyed hearing their accents and guessed they were from the UK. 

My nurse started asking the typical questions and I was touched by her empathy when she expressed that one of my symptoms must be concerning to me. My nurse was boisterous and overflowing with bubbliness and her heartfelt words were greatly appreciated. My IV was inserted and I first got my steroid.

A conversation was started with the older couple... just light bantering about tangled IV lines from dancing with IV poles on the way to the bathroom. Or that his wife thought her husband wouldl be old when he turns 70 (not too far off). This couple had been married as long as my parents (45 years) and it brought me joy to see them walking through this reoccurrence of cancer together (and it made me hope that I get to go through a reoccurrence of cancer after 45 years with my husband). We shared our cancer diagnosis stories how long we've been at treatment. The topic then turned to hair and when she was thinking she'd be able to get her first haircut.

After my steroid finished, my Benadryl and Zantac got started. The nurse brought in a third patient and her sister. They have had our nurse before and as the bantering begins, the volume of their conversation increased. 

The older couple and I got in on some of the humor. We talked about yanking the call bell out of the wall to get quicker service when our IV beeps. And joked if we should disconnect our IVs tubing at our hands rather than taking the whole IV pole contraption with us to the bathroom. Then our nurse ate chocolate in front of us and we guiledt her into giving us some as well.

Through this all, my large dose Benadryl was making my mind foggy and my words difficult to get out but I forced myself to stay awake. Our conversations turned to sadder topics about our cancer as well. We freely talked about some of the the nastier side effects and which ones we were ok with... and we showed each other the peach fuzz we call hair on our heads and our excitement of it growing (For me, showing my bald head is a sign of my comfort level with a person. It shows I'm trusting them with something I feel vulnerable about. And it is comforting to see the unique beauty in each of the bald heads.).

The first couple finished treatment and left.The joking continued... this time another lady across the way joined us and expressed her desire to "move into our pod." A second older couple joined us. The nurse started her assessment conversation as the rest of us continued to make noise. Just as my infusion was finishing, my husband and boy joined us. I got to show off my boy a little and after my IV was taken out, we said "see you later." Each of the other ladies were having their own chemo Fridays and I'll more than likely be seeing them in another one, two, three or four weeks depending upon what their chemo schedules were. It might have been just another Friday for many of you, but this was an especially memorable chemo Friday for me full of laughter, staying awake, & making friends (all because of cancer).

I'm not sure how today will go. I'm at the hospital and have another hour to wait to see if I get my chemo. The morning's thoughts have been on a lost set of keys, a sick & fussy baby, an even sicker grandma, and me with just a stuffy nose. The distraction is good. I've had my CT this week and am waiting until Tuesday for the results. It is hard to keep my mind still while waiting so I'll take the distraction. Looking forward to chemo this afternoon & hoping to have as good a weekend as last weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment