Monday 3 March 2014

Breastfeeding to Menopause

Some parts of this journey have been easier to share than others. This one is difficult for me.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm scheduled to have surgery to remove my ovaries. My ovaries are producing hormones that feed my cancer. By getting rid of them I'm getting rid of the cancer on my ovaries, preventing possible future cancers that are related to my breast cancer, and most importantly, getting rid of the extra hormones.

It also means that tomorrow I will hit menopause.

Just over a year ago I was breastfeeding my boy and tomorrow I will start menopause. 

It seems surreal. I never imagined that I'd be in this position.

We had to wait a number of years for Matias to join out family and I'd hoped that we wouldn't have to wait quite as long to add another child to our family. But that is never going to happen.

So with a sad heart I will have surgery tomorrow. There will be no more children in our family but I hope that this will mean that our family will have a wife and mother for longer.

Our Complete(ly silly) Family

1 comment:

  1. Krista I believe your family WILL have a mother and a wife. All my prayers.

    ReplyDelete