Sunday 23 March 2014

What Maui Meant to Me

Vacations are never perfect. Well, at least our vacations aren't.  Matias' carseat was forgotten in the car (which meant a quick trip back to the airport parking lot), the poor little guy got a cold, naps and nights of sleep were frequently interrupted, and there were more than several tears and tantrums.

Even with all of the bumps in the trip, Maui was simply wonderful for a number of reasons.

Maui was a vacation from my cancer diagnosis. No one asked and I did not offer that information. I was simply another tourist. Maui held no continual reminders of my cancer that I have in my home, when I drive down certain streets, when I wear certain clothes, when I eat or avoid certain foods, etc. There were no concerned "How are you doings?" There were, however, the occasional "How are you doings?" after watching our toddler who was full of energy run and run and run.

It was snowing here in Vancouver on the day we left and Maui's warmth and sun were just refreshing. Even the rain in Maui was refreshing! I wore shorts and a tank top comfortably (and that's pretty significant cause I usually feel cold and am dressed in multiple layers). The only time I was truly cold was when we watched the sunrise from the top of a volcano crater at 10,000 feet.

It was family time... just Xhevat, Matias & me. We enjoyed where we were but also simply enjoyed being together. Dinners were some of my favorite times when we'd bake fresh bread and have cheese and meat & fruit salad with it. As the little guy won't remember the trip, we took LOTS of pictures. He seemed to always fall asleep or have too much energy at very inopportune moments (ask the flight attendants... they'd agree).

One of my favourite times of the day was when we were heading back to our condo. The building was u-shaped and our condo was at the end of the U (with a beautiful ocean view). To get from the elevator to our place, we had to travel down two very straight and long hallways. Getting "home" meant that Matias had probably been strapped in his carseat or stroller for some time so whenever we got to these long hallways we'd set him loose and he would run and run and run the entire length. If he got too tired, he'd crawl.. but within a couple seconds, he'd be back up running. It was so nice to be able to set him loose (safely) without fear of him climbing over the railing on our balcony (or should I say lanai) or running into traffic or destroying store displays or jumping off the boat.

In the midst of the anonymity came an emails of love, support, encouragement & prayers... and even an offer of babysitting while in Maui from a friend from grade school! I felt loved & cared for.

Some might say that Maui was a break from reality... but it wasn't. It was a reminder to me of another way that I can live. Yes, I have cancer, it sucks and it's scary but I can choose whether I want to live with that fear. I am in the process of learning about my fears and what it means to trust... and by no means have I arrived.


What I Have Survived Since Feb 12, 2013
(in 138 Appointments)

IVs (successful) x 58
Bloodwork (successful) x 64
IVs or Bloodwork (unsuccessful) x 10
Biopsies x 13 (I think)

Chemo x 29
Bone strengthening infusion x 14
Injection x 9

MRI x 1
CT x 7
Ultrasound x 3
Xray x 6
ECHO x 1
Surgery x 2

Parking Ticket x almost one

Whale/Dolphin watching in Maui

Date Night in Vancouver at a Whitecaps Game

Road Trip with my Parents to Kelowna


1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an ideal break away from the constant reminders around you. Praise God you were able to have that time of normalcy and family memories.

    ReplyDelete