Monday 6 January 2014

Flu Shot or Not

I have been wanting to get my flu shot this year... but it hasn't happened yet.

As I've been getting chemo and my immune system is fragile, I've been told that I can only get the flu shot when I know that my immune system can respond to the vaccination. Yesterday I had planned to get my bloodwork, find out my results and get my vaccination. Unfortunately, my bloodwork showed that my neutrophils were way too low to get it (and may be too low to get chemo this afternoon).

In the past I've received the flu shot to protect myself. I've worked in a place with lots of germs and wanted to protect myself as much as I could from at least a few of the nasty bugs my patients had. As a nurse I also had masks, gowns &/or gloves that were readily available, would wash my hands too many times every shift until my hands dried out & cracked, and could keep "germy" people in isolation rooms.

This year I'm also wanting to protect myself but in a different way and for different reasons. I'm doing my best to avoid germs. I've been trying to "isolate" myself at home a little more and reschedule visits when others aren't feeling well. I shop for groceries and presents when stores will hopefully be emptier. If you're sitting close to me in church, you'll smell my hand sanitizer being used after we shake hands and before communion (and as we're driving home).

My immune system is fragile so I'm asking you to help me protect myself . I want to be able to get chemo so that I can live longer. And I don't want what might be a simple, inconvenient cold for you to become something much more serious and possibly life-threatening for me.

So I have two requests for you:
1. If you've been wanting to get your flu shot and have just been putting it off, please get it. If you're on the fence about the flu shot, let your doctor, pharmacist, public health nurse, etc. address your thoughts and concerns. The internet has lots of information which can be accurate, misleading or inaccurate and may not be the best source for making medical decisions.
2. Whether or not you get a flu shot, please be careful with the germs that you share with others. We all have germs and can be active in stopping their spread. Wash your hands often. Cough into your elbow. If you're sick & germy, please stay home, drink your fluids and take care of yourself (& try to kept your germs to yourself).

Right now I can't get the flu shot to protect myself... but many of you can and all of us can help stop spreading germs. Whether you get the flu shot or not, thank you for doing your part in keeping me & others like me a little healthier.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Krista
    I'm so grateful for your professional knowledge about how to protect yourself. I'm sorry that your immune system "isn't there" to let you get the flu shot & rest in the knowledge of that added protection.
    I'm cheering you on in your protective stance - be totally forward in doing everything possible to not be exposed to other people & what they carry at this time when your health is fragile!!!
    Years back when my father's health was so fragile (liver failure after tainted blood transfusion) he would, as you suspect you would also, get ill after nearly every trip out in public. I'd warn him before church - "you tell all those concerned ladies to Keep their Lips off of you" - (they'd want to kiss his cheek & share their concern)!

    I'm at home these days dealing with a cold that just won't go away. I recently returned home on sold out flight to realize that the woman seated next to me was obviously very ill with something viral. By the next AM I was consumed with this nasty cold that has persisted for a week now.... & I was so healthy prior to the flight. I'm cheering you on and urging you - be bold in telling people to STAY AWAY - that your very health is threatened by their "just being a little under the weather". I'm praying for you & family every day!

    ReplyDelete