Sunday 27 April 2014

A Scary Week

It's been a scary week to say the least. I've gone from a mom with a headache to an inpatient with brain metastases and a walker.

My mind is clear and functioning; my words and movements just jumble out like I'm in a drunken stupor. Occasionally I'll get frustrated when washing my hands or putting on my shoes and one occasion I even sent the food cover flying across the room (don't worry, the bathroom door stopped it).

It's been very sobering especially when I feel so clear in my mind to have so much searching and heartache in the eyes of those who are trying to listen to me and help me.

It's been fairly morbid as well. My symptoms could stay the same, decrease or improve. Only time (in conjuction with steroids and radiation) will tell which direction things will go. And changes could take a few weeks to settle into.

We've had and chosen to talk about advanced directives -- CPR, intubation, etc. -- if things got to that point and what our desires would be. I've put in requests for my funeral (I think they're funny "Krista-isms"that would celebrate my life and kwirks... along with the request not to serve egg salad or tuna sandwiches... that's just a preference). For me (and by the number of times my sister rolled her eyes at me or we were laughing in Kleenex), it's been a strangely comforting topic of discussion.

We've laughed, we've cried. We've remembered, we've dreamed. It's a strange vortex of beauty and suffering fused into these moments.

Let me just say that I'm not thinking right now that I'm dying. Things have definitely gotten more serious and complicated but I'm very much still here. I'm still saying "see you laters" and not "goodbyes." I'm doing (I think) as best as I can be despite the circumstances.

I've felt so very humbled by my friends and family and strangers who have chosen to pray for me. And even more amazed by those who don't pray and took time to think of me. At many points through the day when discouragement or fear would creep in I actually knew someone was praying for me and lifting me up before God. And I felt shielded and swaddled & infused with hope and peace. And then to hear back from you with how God was moving in your hearts -- it was a good day!

This next week will bring two more doses of whole brain radiation (I'll lose my hair in another week or so), an MRI to get another picture of my brain and hopefully the physical strength that they know that I can safely go home safely. I got out for a few hours on a day pass yesterday and it was great -- family time, my boy & dog playing, a home cooked meal, fresh air, the mountains, just sitting or lying on my couch or bed, my own toilet... I could go on and on. I loved escaping! Saturday was a good day.

And so we take another step forward on this journey together. I know this hasn't been an easy journey for you either so thanks for being here with me.

My husband whose name means faithful has certainly been that to me and more on this journey. I have the most amazing husband!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Krista, I don't know if you remember me but I taught preschool Sunday School with you at PCC about 3 or so years ago and moved to Winnipeg shortly after. I stumbled on your blog through facebook last week and have been tearfully reading your posts. Congratulations on your beautiful little boy and what a joy to have in your life.
    Just want you to know that I really enjoyed those days teaching preschool Sunday school with you and getting to know you a little better...having small chats about our lives. When we finished that year of teaching you told me how much you enjoyed teaching with me and that was such an encouragement for me, still sticks in my head and impacted me. After reading your blog entries, it is very clear that you have impacted many people on this journey.
    I want you to know that you have another person lifting you up in prayer, thinking about you and pleading for God's grace.
    Keep up the good fight...I am cheering for you.
    Tanya Freiter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Krista-
    The Chicago Durstons are praying hard. See you this summer.
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in my thoughts every day. Your words fill me emotions and gratitude. I am so blessed to know you :)
    All my love
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Krista,

    I have been following your blog for months. We've never met but I work at PHSA and someone had posted your story there. I just want to tell you that those anonymous people you talk about who pray for you - myself and my wife are two of them. We have spent at least a dozen hours or more just talking about you, praying for you together in our bed at night, and crying. I know that sounds weird, but I want you to know that, and hopefully it will fill your heart with love. We both care so much for you and we have never met you! We will say prayers again tonight and our thoughts are with you, your husband and your son. You should also know that through your strength, you have enabled both of us to overcome many of our challenges in life. You have directly made us stronger through your strength and we are so thankful for that.

    Adam & GIllian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Krista,
    I have been following your blog faithfully and want you to know that you are never far from my mind. We enjoyed seeing your Mom and Dad and had a very nice visit with them. I hope that your family had a great time at your Dad's birthday celebration. As I follow your journey with you, you have taught me so many things about life and I wish to thank you for this. You have given me strength, courage and inspiration to face each new day. As a cancer patient at one time, I am reminded to live and enjoy each day ! I have learned to take time to smell the roses ! May God be at your side throughout this journey and give you and your family the courage to face each new day with hope and love.
    Cheryl Cocks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Krista,
    I just started to read your blog. I have not read it all yet. I was fortunate to meet you years ago at a bible study I was invited to. I want you to know I am also lifting you and your family up in prayer. Thank you for sharing your story. You are an amazing and beautiful woman. I thought that when I met you too. You give so much love, faithfulness, gratitude and so many good things through your words. I will keep praying for you and sending you my best hopes and thoughts. Wishing you comfort and good rest. God bless you and heal you and renew your strength and bring you many joy filled days ahead.
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete