Wednesday 30 April 2014

Community

It's been a tough week to say the least. Two IVs, bloodwork twice, two missed IVs, eight nights in hospital, five days of full brain radiation, an MRI, minor surgery... you know just another week.

But in these eight days I've had so many conversations & opportunities which have impacted my life with hospital transfer attendants, porters, phlebotomists, a unit clerk, nurses, doctors, cleaners, maintenance, a social worker student, a chaplain, physiotherapists, an occupational therapist, the lunch ladies, and many more.  I've had the opportunity to share my heart & had my heart heard. It has been good.

My heart has celebrated a new life in a friend's family and has broken over another's new cancer diagnosis and his new path.

I was reminded last night at my dinner table (I was out on pass and had mom make comfy homemade Mac 'n Cheese) of living in community. Two friends popped over to visit and we could just sit down as a big family and eat together and be together. It felt so normal. I love normal and doing life together.

It's been hard for this stubborn, self-sufficient caregiver to admit that I need help and ask for it. I'm learning and trying to ask for help as we need it.

I'm so thankful for the improvement this past week. I still have some difficulty with enunciation at times but there has been great improvement this week. I'm still weaker physically but have enough strength (and decreased brain swelling) to get around semi-independently. I cannot drive. I'm not able to fully care for myself or my family. And I don't know how long I can expect to be as good as I am now or if there will be more improvement or decompensation.

We've received more difficult news today and are processing our options. We need your prayers and are thankful we are living in community.

Celebrating discharge from hospital and finishing brain radiation with DQ Blizzards

Some big laughs over celebratory pizza & samosas tonight. His laughter was infectious & refreshing to my soul. Such joy in the midst of gruelling times.

What I Have Survived Since Feb 12, 2013
(in 167 Appointments)

IVs (successful) x 62
Bloodwork (successful) x 68
IVs or Bloodwork (unsuccessful) x 14
Biopsies x 13 (I think)

Chemo x 29
Bone strengthening infusions x 15
Injections x 9
Brain radiation x5

MRI x 2
CT x 9
Ultrasound x 3
Xray x 6
ECHO x 1
Surgery x 2
Minor surgery x 1

Days in hospital x 9

Parking Ticket x almost one

4 comments:

  1. Hi Krista....I will continue to keep you in prayer! Your Trust in God brings me to tears, and I get it. You have been an inspiration to many!
    Blessings
    Sharon LeBlanc

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have temporary speech issues but your blogging has such clarity and depth. I thank you for your insights and expressing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you are at home Krista. Hope you have been able to get out and enjoy the sunny weather with Matias.
    Thinking of you.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christa, it is Agnesa from Kosova, i follow your life every day, and pray for you, I wear the ring you once gave me every day on my thumb, and think of you how prescoius you are and what a gift. I ask for life, joy and peace. Jesus will give. Te dua shoqe. Mbaju fort.

    ReplyDelete