Tuesday 13 May 2014

The Gift of A Letter From My Sister

Let it be known that my sister made me cry this time! She sent me the following letter on Mother's Day that she had written for my son. I have a pretty amazing sister whom I love dearly. The following are her words.



Dear Matias,


Today is May 11th, 2014 and it is Mother’s Day. It’s been a tough day for many of us. I think of my mom, your grandma, and the difficult year she has had. I think of your mom too. If your mom’s doctor is right (but I still pray that he isn’t), today may be her last Mother’s Day.  I can’t tell you how painful it is to think about that.


I also think of you. Right now, you’re a happy-go-lucky one-year-old, oblivious to the effects of cancer. Like a regular toddler, you’re more concerned with getting food when you want it, trying to climb the highchair and enjoying time at the park. It’s a relief that you don’t feel the pain like we do.


Someday you might find this day difficult though. You might wonder about your mom and wish you had known her better.  So let me tell you a few things.


First of all, your mom wanted you so very much. Along with your dad, they prayed for you for many years before you were born. News of your birth was so wonderful! Grandma, Alexa and I drove down to Langley while your mom was in labour and we were privileged to see your mom and dad that very first night, holding you in their loving arms.


As you probably know, your mom was diagnosed with cancer when you were only 5 ½ months old. It was devastating. The pain was so intense and seeing a young mother receive such a prognosis was heartbreaking.  


We have all cried many, many times, but your mother has shown such amazing strength and courage. She has always been determined (or as I would say, stubborn) and she has used that determination to walk this difficult journey. Yet more importantly that that, she has held firm in her faith in God. She knows that she is His and that He has full control. She hasn’t pretended that the pain doesn’t exist but she hasn’t wallowed in it either. She struggles with fear, like any human would, but she has chosen over and over to trust in God’s plan, whatever that may be.  


And yet more courageously, she has chosen to expose her life, her hurts, her desires, her wishes, to all of us. She could have hidden in her own world, but instead she has gone out, welcomed people in, shared and loved.  


She has been a glowing reflection of God’s love.  She always wanted to be a missionary – and she has been, now more than ever.  


She has had the rare ability and strength to take a horrible, devastating situation and let God’s glory shine right through it. Not just shedding light on a few, but on many, worldwide.


And so, Matias, if you don’t get the opportunity to know your mom, please know that she was someone who faced fear and chose with God’s help to live for Him regardless of the circumstances.  Matias, you should be proud. And I pray that the strength that your mother has found will shine through your life as well.

 

Lots of love,

-Auntie Nicole

 

 

My Sister & Me

 

No comments:

Post a Comment