Tuesday 12 March 2013

Finding Reasons To Celebrate

This week has been tough for me.

Physically, the side effects of my bone strengthening infusion were rough & good sleep has been hard to get. Emotionally, starting to lose my hair & almost not getting chemo were struggles. Spiritually (one night when things were feeling particularly dark), I pictured myself holding Jesus' hand while the waves were crashing around me. I was trying to keep my eyes on Him but the waves were too big and I couldn't hold on. The darkness felt all consuming and I was begging God to help me trust.

It's been rough.

So after talking with some people close to me, I'm learning to find reasons to be thankful & celebrate...

- My first cycle of chemo is done (and with minimal side effects)!
- We celebrated my hair cut (and International Women's Day) with an ice cream cake.
- Xhevat and I had some good laughs when I was trying on wigs (brunette, red & blonde!).
- A bright sunshiny day on Saturday!
- Some family time with just the three of us plus our dog.
- Family & friends who have given so much to help us out with meals, baby food, rides to appointments, emails, notes & phone calls, socks, gifts, etc.
- And today, I'm thankful for & celebrating ondansetron and another good doctor's appointment. He continues to be pleased with my progress & how I'm handling my treatment. I'm allowed to start some physio and I was feeling so good that I started to do a little around the house (first time in a month that I've done dishes & driven the car).
- We know that this journey will have many high and low moments. So more than anything I'm thankful that
even when I'm feeling overwhelmed and consumed by my circumstances, my God is.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Krista,

    Thanks for this post ... I was thinking and praying for you all last week. I am SOO GLAD that you can start some physio -- what an answer to prayer!!!! Love you, Mon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon Krushel12 March 2013 at 23:05

    I think this is the first time I've rejoiced with someone about doing dishes. :) So wonderful to hear that you were able to have a few precious, 'everyday', blissful moments during this rough week. (This is a new definition of "rough" for me, by the way. I mean there's rough, and then there's rough.) I pray that God will continue to give you more opportunities to physically express yourself as the genuine, nurturing woman, mother and wife that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Krista. Your positive attitude and faith amidst these incredible challenges is amazing. Your posts keep reminding me of all I have to be thankful for. Sometimes it's easy to take the little things in life for granted and when I see someone with such challenges enduring with such strength it is a great reminder to me. Thank you and God bless you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Krista - It's Joy here. I have been thinking of you frequently as I read of your journey. I wish with all my heart that you did not have to travel this path. You have such great insight and that will help. Enjoy every moment that brings you happiness, know that you have many people in your life that support you even from a distance.

    ReplyDelete