Friday 22 March 2013

Gaining Strength & Endurance... and Feistiness

Every new mom needs a break like this (although I wouldn't recommend having cancer as the excuse to get a break)! For the last six weeks, my family has taken over caring for my seven month old. I could look at this negatively and think of all of the 3 am feeds and poopy diapers I've missed... or I could think of it positively and think of how mommy has actually gotten several nights of good sleep and since I've had to stop breastfeeding I can go out by myself for more than 3 hours by myself! See... there's a good side to everything!

Last week I was given the go ahead to start physio. The earliest appointment I could get was for next week so I've been getting more active at home. My sister has loved providing me with reasons to do an extra flight of stairs. When I'd fuss about needing to go up the stairs, she'd say... physio! Or when I picked up my 16 pounds of a wiggling weight, I'd hear... physio! Even my niece was getting in on saying physio (which was usually followed by some giggles).

Since the handoff of the baton (my parents came down and relieved my sister et al earlier this week), I haven't heard physio said quite as much... but I have been doing a lot more.  Washing some dishes, a little laundry, cooking a meal, changing diapers (unfortunately I still haven't gained enough strength to change the poopy ones), snuggling my boy & even a couple night feeds... all major accomplishments for me these days!

I'm working to get enough strength & endurance to work my family out of a job of caring for me & my family. I've also been told I'm getting my feistiness back (was it ever gone?!?!). And I'm looking forward to the day when I can say thank you... but go home.

(Please note: I love my family and have told them over and over how much they mean to me and how grateful I am for who they are and how they've rearranged their lives for me. My desire to see them leave only reflects my desire to get stronger and be able to do the things that I can't do now.)

While they might have felt a little hurt when I told them that I'm trying to work them out of a job, they will learn to appreciate that future visits here will include cuddles & bottles... not 3am feeds and poopy diapers. Until that day, I will continue to thank God for the precious "extra" moments with family and I'm grateful for everything they have done for me and my family.

P.S. I got my sixth dose of chemo today wearing a beautiful new hat. I took a deck of cards to play while getting chemo.  I'm proud to say that even under the influence of 50mg of Benadryl, I can still beat my husband at Phase 10! All around, an uneventful and good day.

6 comments:

  1. Krista - you look ADORABLE in that new hat!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly beautiful Krista.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista your smile is contagious! Beautiful picture of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon Krushel23 March 2013 at 15:11

    Krista, you look GORGEOUS. And I had forgotten how funny you are. To bring so much wit and charm to an experience like this, is really something special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make my heart sing! Your smile is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Krista . . . you look stunning! You are truly the definition of grace and strength!

    ReplyDelete