Friday 15 March 2013

My Response to "Fighting Cancer"

I've had a tough time of knowing how to respond when people tell me to fight this cancer. First of all, how do you fight cancer? With a Stage IV diagnosis of invasive metastatic breast cancer, I can't have surgery to get rid of it all. I don't believe I can eat my way to health. I can't walk it off or wish it away. I can't actively do anything. Other than getting chemo and doing my best to stay healthy, there is nothing that I can do to fight.

I think I understand the intentions behind "fighting cancer." No one wants to see cancer take over my body, cause me harm, or end in death. People want to see cancer knocked down into nonexistence in my body and that would show that I have "fought" and "conquered" cancer.

I'm fighting cancer with what my dear sister has termed as chemo-prayer-apy. It's a combination of:
1. chemotherapy: harsh drugs to kill fast growing cells as they try to divide and conquer in my body
2. prayer: and lots of it by many people... way more powerful than any drug or anything else we can discover or imagine
3. therapy: taking care of myself... body, mind and soul

But... I can get chemo, pray, and take care of myself and cancer could still ravage my body. So this is how I'm responding to the people who love me dearly and want to encourage me to never quit fighting cancer:

Dear Friend,

I'm doing well right now. Prayer & chemo are helping me a lot. I will continue to do what I can to try get rid of this cancer. I have an amazing husband and precious son.

But... the most important thing is how I live my life... not how many years. God has allowed breast cancer to be a part of my story. Like everyone else, I can choose to focus my life on Him or my circumstances. No matter how my story ends, I want people to see that my life has been about Jesus in me (and not cancer in me).

Thank you for loving me & supporting me. Please say hi to everyone & give them a big hug from me!

Krista

8 comments:

  1. You are truly an amazing woman Krista, it truly is about how you live your life and your special bond you have with God, my hope and prayer is that your body will continue to fight within and you enjoy those very special moments with your family, friends and God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krista for being "you", transparent, open and honest. I'm proud to be your father. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. And beautiful. And loved. Thank you for letting Him live in you. Praying in Minnesota! Krissy (and Lee)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista,
    I have just returned to work and heard what you are going through...words are just not enough at this time. But reading YOUR words is truly inspirational! You are one amazing, strong and beautiful woman surrounded by loving family, wonderful friends, and faith...what more could you need?! I wish you countless special moments ahead with that ADORABLE little boy...he is absolutely beautiful, by the way ;)
    Take care,
    you are in my thoughts.
    xoxo
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said! I'm so grateful that you are able to put your thoughts and emotion into words. You are such an encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Krista,
    I have often thought that the words fight, battle, struggle etc that are so often used when describing what people face with this illness are such harsh and negative terms. You have described beautifully your beliefs and approaches to life as it exists now.

    Many people have also admired your strength - remember too that you do not have to be strong all of the time, it is okay to let others care for you as you have done for so many others during your nursing career. Use their compassion to help you through the tough patches.

    Thinking of you, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Krista:

    You are amazing in both your words and actions. It is very easy for me to see Jesus in you. Sometimes when I am praying for you and your wonderful husband and son, I just cannot believe that the Lord would allow this to happen to such a wonderful family. But then we do not see the ultimate plan He has in store for you all. Your strength is such a gift and I know you are touching many lives with your story. Please give your miracle baby Matias a big hug and kiss for me.

    Praying and thinking of all of you daily

    Barb

    ReplyDelete