Friday 5 December 2014

Advent Chemo

Being dependent on others for babysitting and rides while I have my appointments has been interesting. I've had people offer to help from Vancouver to North Van to Lynden (and that doesn't even begin to included my family from Kelowna)! And I've gotten to spend time with a bunch of wonderful ladies (and my dad) who I probably wouldn't have been able to spend time with otherwise. This has been an incredible privilege for me.

I haven't been feeling well this week. Between my worries, delayed chemo, a headache, back and muscle pain, some vomiting and lack of sleep, I've just felt sort of trapped and scared.

I rallied up my energy for yesterday and I tried to have extra fluids on board as I knew I was to have at least two pokes. To get an IV for my last MRI took three people, five pokes and one nerve was hit which is very painful (it was the first time I cried when being poked). A friend and fellow nursing student that I hadn't seen for 14 years drove me and it was great to catch up. I was also very thankful to only need one poke for the IV infusion.

Getting my bloodwork was a bit more of a challenge and as is me (pick whatever part of me you desire... nurse, type A, stubborn, crafty, fearful, etc.), I was trying to find a way to get my results as quickly as possible. 

Well... 
1. I forgot my requisition at home so I couldn't get it done the same time as my infusion. 
2. Matias had fallen asleep late (as he was late getting his nap due to my infusion) and so we had to wake him up later than usual.
3. Then I had to find a clinic that was still open past 4.
4. The clinic was empty except for one other person and as I heard the back door doorbell (for the courier) ring, I was rushed into the back to draw my blood so that they could send it off with the courier! As we were in our car in the parking lot, we saw the courier van leave with my blood in it. 😊
5. I tried to access my results online last night and forgot my password. Three attempts and the account locked... so I got locked out (and the telephone help lines were closed)!

So I had no choice but to let it go & wait until today to find out the results of my neutrophil test.

(A little lesson about neutrophils... neutrophils are a type of white blood cell -- part of your immune system -- and are one of the types of cells that are destroyed when you take chemo. When you have a low number of neutrophils, it's called neutropenia (noun) or you are neutropenic (adj.) and this is why people on chemo need to avoid germs -- they have a very poor immune system which makes them much more susceptible to getting infections as they can't fight them. And when they get sick, they can get VERY sick.

A normal number for a healthy adult's neutrophils is 2.0-8.0x10*9/L. My last week's neutrophil count was 1.1. This week I was hoping for the minimum of 1.5 so that I could get my chemo. It hasn't been the greatest week so even getting the bare minimum would be fantastic. I also found out that I am very unaware of what's going on in my body. Yesterday my neutrophils were 3.5! So I got to go and pick up my chemo this afternoon! This just goes to show you how incredibly horrible I am at reading my own body.)

Advent is a time of preparing oneself and eagerly anticipating a BIG event... remembering Jesus coming to earth as a little baby boy, our Emmanuel -- God with us. I'm taking this cancer journey as my advent -- preparing myself and eagerly anticipating an even BIGGER event... Heaven and living with God forever. Until then, I'll keep on living fully and eagerly anticipating.

Making my chemo into an Advent Chemo Calendar (back of calendar)

The front of my calendar with one "treat" consumed. And thanks to Nicole and Lisa for the advent chemo and colouring ideas respectively. I love their creativity!


What I Have Survived Since Feb 12, 2013
(in 221 Appointments)

IVs (successful) x 77
Bloodwork (successful) x 81
IVs or Bloodwork (unsuccessful) x 15
Biopsies x 13 (I think)

Chemo x 17 cycles including:
IV Chemo x 29 doses
Oral Chemo x 644 pills

Bone strengthening infusions x 23
Injections x 9
Brain radiation x 5
Other radiation x 3
Tattoos x 6

MRI x 3
CT x 14
Ultrasound x 3
Xray x 7
ECHO x 1
Surgery x 2
Minor surgery x 1

Days in hospital x 9

Parking Ticket x one given incorrectly & almost another one

2 comments:

  1. As you share this journey, I become more aware of how much God has blessed me, and no reason to complain. I am sometimes guilty of complaining about aging pains and slowing down. You challenge me with your openness about your journey.God bless you, Krista, and Xhevat and Matias. Merry and Blessed Christmas.

    Dana and Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, It was so nice talking to you today in MRI. I did your scan and enjoyed talking with you afterwards. Thanks for telling me about your blog. I will continue to pray for you, asking our loving heavenly Father to hold you, give you peace and joy, and courage and boldness as you continue on your path. God's love and joy are evident in your life. Each day is a gift - thanks for the reminder Krista.

    ReplyDelete