Thursday 18 December 2014

Big Decisions

Last week when asked if I wanted radiation, the answer seemed obvious. Of course I do. I'm not done yet. I don't think I'm at the point of saying I'm through with treatment. I feel too "good."

But then I was reminded of whole brain radiation and the potential side effects of having it done the second time. There are a lot of nasty things that could happen. As a matter of fact, it's about double the chance of them happening as I'm having it a second time -- a lot of things that could make life & celebrating Christmas very difficult.

Originally my radiation oncologist talked about starting radiation the week after Christmas -- to enjoy these days. Due to my symptom progression over this past week, we asked if I could start earlier. My medical oncologist suggested that I stop chemo in light of my upcoming radiation. Today, they'll start with my radiation planning (i.e. they take images & measurements of my head to program the machine to irradiate my whole brain). Monday I'll start actual radiation. We don't know if this is the best decision or timing but it's hard to feel my cancer slowly taking over my body while I simply wait to celebrate a day's event that can be celebrated any day!

Only time will tell if radiation will give me a better response or longer length of quality life. Or perhaps the symptoms & side effects will be worse and I'll wish I'd waited. As far as Christmas goes, I am celebrating no matter what or when. More than likely, Christmas will look a little different this year.

I'm nervous, unsure, and wanting to get on with things... and so I bake.

One of my coping strategies... baking.

3 comments:

  1. We are praying for wisdom in this decision, and for peace of mind when the decision is made and for good results, and minimal side effects. God is still totally in control and will be with you in this to keep you in his arms, and will give you His peace through Jesus, by the presense of the Holy Spirit. Our love and prayers. God loves you. Dana and Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Krista as you face this next big decision, May you follow God's lead. May He bring you peace and comfort and a positive outcome with no or minimal side effects. You are a fighter Krista and your positive attitude and the way you are battling this cancer is a testimony of God's presence in your life to whoever meets you. HUGGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure neither of us got much studying done during exam time, because we BOTH use baking as coping strategies!!! The biscotti look delicious.... and really, when life throws eggs at you, make something delicious :) Hugs and love - Sarah

    ReplyDelete